Livescores.com
Gareth Barry is set to break the Premier League appearances record if he takes to the field for West Brom in Monday’s match against Arsenal.
The former England international, now 36, could play his 633rd top-flight match at the Emirates Stadium, and is even considering playing on for a few more years.
"I'm immensely proud to get there," Barry said as he closes in on the record currently held by Ryan Giggs. "Whether it will stay around for long I don't know.
The Baggies midfielder is now considering playing on for a few more years, and recounted some advice from former Toffees manager Roberto Martinez that he laughed off at the time.
"I was 32 when I signed for Everton and Roberto Martinez said, 'You're style of game - you can play until you're 40'.
"I'm sitting there laughing at him, but he was deadly serious, and I still laughed. It's still going to be tough, but for a manager to tell me that four to five years ago is a good compliment, which was nice to hear."
No comments:
Post a Comment