Tuesday 29 July 2014

'Liverpool didn't want me to stay,' says Carragher

Goal.com
The 36-year-old says the club made no effort to convince him to stay on as a pundit following his decision to retire, and insists he is unlikely to ever return to Anfield

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher says the club made no effort to retain his services in an off-field role following his retirement. 

Carragher represented the Merseyside club 737 times from 1996 to 2013, making 508 league appearances and winning the Champions League, two FA Cups, two League Cups, one Uefa Cup and one Uefa Super Cup.

However, the one-club stalwart and local product was not asked to remain at the club in a coaching or advising role, and claims he was "embarrassed" during his final season.

"I was never offered a role by someone else or at Liverpool," Carragher told The Anfield Wrap podcast.

"I told manager Brendan Rodgers 12 months before the end of that season that I was finishing. I knew I was finishing. I'd had enough of being a substitute.

"I said to Brendan 'I understand [Daniel] Agger and [Martin] Skrtel are your first choice, I want to help you as much as possible as a manager. I want to play, if I play well obviously I'd love to play, of course' and I got back into the team which was a brilliant ending for me.

"But he knew then that I was actually close to jacking it in halfway through the season just because I wasn't involved. I was embarrassed in training every day."

And Carragher, now a pundit, insists his chances of returning to Anfield on a permanent basis are small.

"I don't think I'll ever move home, if I'm honest, so the chances of being a manager or a coach dwindle a bit there as I wouldn't be moving my family around this country, let alone Europe or whatever," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment